A lot of people are eager to know how to start blogging. You may have heard that the core principle of blogging is good writing. And that if you aren’t good at creating out well-crafted pieces, there is no point in doing it. Although there is partial truth in it, blogging is a lot more than you thought you know.
If you already write or are thinking about writing blogs only for money, with no real love for the art involved in it, you will fail. There are a number of factors that influence the rise of a blog- exceptional content, marketing and persistence. Discounting any of these could be fatal for your blog.
The good news is that if you are confident and learn the “tricks of the trade”, you will almost certainly be able to generate a loyal customer/fan base and earn your way to success!
Let us analyse and discuss the ways to uplift your business to new heights! Here are some basic blogging tips for you.
- Clear Your Mind, Pick a Topic: A blog is your brainchild and as such, you must decide on your niche. Writing on a wide variety of topics is not exactly advisable because your strengths on different subjects will vary. This means that the quality of your content will rise and fall with everything you create. Readers are turned off by this habit. Focus on one subject and mould everything around that. With absolute focus, your blog will come to be known for what it stands for and attract a very particular population, automatically raking in the money.
- Pick a Blogging Platform: Now that you have decided on a topic, the next move is to choose a place to blog on. A platform that is both user-friendly and efficient. While there are many you can find via a simple online search, the most popular happens to be WordPress. For beginners in the field, blogspot.com or Tumblr are good bets, but if you are looking to play the “long game”, WordPress.org should soon become your ‘workshop’. It possesses significantly more options in designing. WordPress.org is both self-hosted and more rewarding than its .com counterpart.
- Pick a Domain Name: A third-party hosting will only take you so far with a subdomain. If you find a keyword included domain name, that perfectly speaks of your area of expertise, through providers such as HostGator or BlueHost, it will make you stand out and accessible. A few tips in this regard are:
- Maintain a domain name within 15 characters.
- Do not use hyphens for the domain name. It indicates spamming.
- Utilize top-level domain such as .net.
- Here is a detailed guide to setting up hosting at BlueHost:
- Go to www.bluehost.com and click on Sign Up Now.
- Choose a domain name or enter an already existing one, as shown in the screenshot below.
- Follow a few other steps to ensure that DNS is pointed to BlueHost. In case you need a new domain name, you will be happy to know that you get one right in the sign-up process, free with the new WordPress hosting account purchase.
- Next, fill in all your details.
- Take your pick from the hosting packages. The higher duration you choose, the more economical it will be.
- While choosing the package, ensure that you add Domain Privacy. This is a service that you pay for but it allows for extreme privacy for your personal information on WHOIS databases.
- After deciding on the package, click ‘Next’ and complete the purchase.
- Next, set a password for the account (both capital and lowercase letters, a number, and one special character)
- Once you access the account dashboard, you need to install WordPress from the bottom of the screen
- Click on “Install” at the installation page.
- Next, you need to name your site and create a username and password for WordPress. Choose “Automatically create a new database for this installation” and “I have read the terms and conditions of the GPLv2” before clicking on “Install Now.”
- The bar turning green at the top-end of the following screen is an indication of successful installation.
- You should receive an email from Mojo Marketplace including the WordPress admin login URL, login username and website URL, your WordPress admin login URL, and your WordPress login username.
- Access the admin URL, which will redirect you to what you see below. Enter your username.
- For the password, go back to the Bluehost tab and click on “View” at the bottom. You will be able to see the password but mind the fact that this is maintained for 12 hours.
- The following page on logging in contains every bit of information for using WordPress.
- Content-Delivery Networks: A program like WP Super Cache, with activated browser caching for your page, will boost loading speeds. With an increase in visitors and growing popularity for your blog, this will become very important. Google’s Page Speed Insights is particularly helpful in understanding the speed differences before and after cache activation. Additionally, a CDN or Content Delivery Network is critical as it replicates data across repositories, speeding up content delivery. This is really crucial as readers are easily bored by a slow page and move on to the next name on the search results.
- Monetization: The Tricky Part: Popular bloggers, who have already carved out a loyal fan following, consistently earn through advertisements and sponsorship. Someone like Neil Patel or Brian Dean, after their years’ worth of built up reputation, would not have issues in generating revenue for their work. On the other hand, blogs by small enterprises monetize via adding URLs to their products. An unmonetized blog is useless from a business standpoint, no matter how well-written or famous it may be.In this regard, please pay heed to the following points:
- Organic SEO: Keyword research is the key to optimization. Find out the words or phrases that are most pertinent to your blog. This will ensure a high ranking on Google search engine.
- Social media marketing: Marketing today is incomplete without a relevant social media involvement. Various businesses prefer different platforms with LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest among the top picks.
- Email marketing: Email marketing is a smooth and efficient way to draw in customers. If you are involved in paid marketing, it doesn’t make sense to pay for the same visitors again.
- Influencer marketing: This is where focus is placed on influential people rather than entirely on the product. Twitter makes this easy and there are platforms for contacting influencers as well. The best among these are JustRetweet and Viral Content Buzz. You can share content for others and with the earned credits, you can request influencers to do the same for you.
- Free documents: Most start-ups and even long-standing organizations offer complimentary e-books, videos and whitepapers in exchange for a viewer’s name and email address. You should do the same.
- Affiliate Marketing: A marketing that hinges on a blogger’s performance where he adds links to a product belonging to another entity. When a reader clicks on the link and purchases the said product, the writer receives a portion of the sale.
- Google Adsense: Google AdSense is an extremely well-designed and popular ad network. With it, a blogger can earn by allowing ads on his page. These are of two types:
- Impression Dependent: This is all about the number of page views. For example, every thousand page-views will bring a fixed sum to the blogger.
- Click Dependent: Apart from page views, if a visitor clicks on the ad on your page, you get a portion of the revenue from that ad.
- Consultation: With a significant experience behind you, people will be looking for smart tips and advice from you. The good thing is that you can charge for it. And why not? Whether it’s improving someone’s marketing strategy or discussing success tips, your expertise will one day be enough to charge money for. Build yourself accordingly.
It is a natural want to earn well when one writes well and invests time in something. Exceptionally-written content is the first step to good blogging. It is, however, with a lot of techniques and smart thinking that you achieve greatness. You need to “burn the midnight oil” and patiently grow into a top-end professional blogger.
LuoVita’s Academy is the final destination for you to get your blogging game straight! Let us help you build your skills! Check the Blogging Success course in our Academy and do it seriously.
For more expert tips on blogging, check 11 Mistakes to Avoid as a Newbie Blogger and bring perfection to your online blogs.